The Dangers of Breathing Mold in Home

If you\’re sensitive to mold, breathing spores in your home can cause headaches, skin rashes, nausea and other health issues.

Mold infestations are typically due to inadequate ventilation, but other factors can also contribute. If you suspect there\’s a mold issue in your home, it\’s essential that the issue be addressed promptly and completely.


Moisture is another factor that can promote mold growth. When there\’s too much humidity in the air, it becomes easy for mold spores to settle into your home and thrive.

Poor ventilation or moist areas such as kitchens, bathrooms and basements in homes can quickly become breeding grounds for mold spores and growth. Furthermore, these places are prime targets for water damage to drywall, flooring and appliances.

High humidity levels can adversely affect electronics, leading them to short circuit and potentially damaging them. To prevent this problem, keep all electric appliances in a dry location when not in use – especially if you live in an area that experiences several days of rain with high humidity levels.

High Humidity

Basements and attics with high humidity levels are particularly susceptible to mold growth. To avoid this from occurring, the relative humidity in these rooms should remain between 30-50%.

Fungi that thrive in damp areas and on organic surfaces can cause mold to grow. These microscopic spores can settle anywhere in your home, attaching themselves to building materials and growing on them.

These spores may cause asthma attacks in children and other respiratory problems for those with allergies or compromised immune systems.

Are you noticing musty odors, warped wood floors, condensation and water stains, peeling wallpaper or warping furniture? These could all be signs that your indoor humidity levels are low?

Fortunately, you have control over your home\’s humidity levels – reducing the risk of these problems and improving indoor air quality. To do this, ensure your air conditioning system is functioning properly so it can remove excess moisture as it cools. Alternatively, install a dehumidifier in basement and attic areas to further reduce moisture buildup.

Poor Ventilation

Poor ventilation in the home is a major contributor to mold growth. It creates an environment of high humidity which encourages condensation on surfaces – ideal conditions for mold to flourish.

A study published in 2020 revealed that homes with poor ventilation had higher concentrations of mold and musty odors than those with proper ventilation. Furthermore, bedrooms had greater exposure to these unpleasant odors than living rooms did.

Indoor air quality can be enhanced with proper ventilation, since it reduces humidity levels and removes contaminants – both essential for good health. Furthermore, it helps prevent the buildup of allergens such as dust, pollen and pet dander that could trigger common asthma or allergy symptoms. Also, you can use an air mold test kit we offer online to check your air.


Mold spores are microscopic airborne particles that can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals. Symptoms range from a runny nose and itchy, watery eyes to coughing, sneezing or wheezing.

An allergy to mold occurs when the immune system becomes overly sensitive and recognizes the spores as foreign invaders. It produces antibodies in order to combat them, leading to symptoms when you inhale them into your lungs.

Allergies to mold can range in intensity and frequency depending on your personal history. Outdoor molds tend to be most prevalent from June through early fall, while indoor mold can cause symptoms throughout the year.

To determine if you have an allergy to mold, your physician will perform a skin test. They\’ll prick your skin with a small needle and place droplets of various mold types on it; if there are raised bumps (about the size of mosquito bites) around these pricked areas, it strongly suggests that you have an sensitivity to that particular variety of mold.

Shopping Cart